If you are camping or traveling with your dog, an outdoor dog bed is a wonderful investment. Your dog will be more comfortable knowing that this is their personal space. Plus, you won’t have to worry about preventing their bedding from getting dirty or wet. I’ve done the hard work for you by comparing dozens of outdoor dog beds to help you search for the best outdoor dog bed.
Best elevated outdoor dog bed
On a hot summer day, your dog will appreciate the added airflow of an elevated bed. It can also be helpful on uneven ground, or when camping where the ground might be a bit sandy or mucky. One of the features I like on this bed is the cushioning around the sides and the mesh center for added airflow. The mesh also helps to repel odors, something we all need when spending time with a dog in the wilderness. If your only water source is a river or lake, your pup may get a little stinky washing up in there. Check price here.
- Increased airflow
- Sturdy steel frame
- Non-slip feet
- Heavy denier fabric
- Fluffy plush bolsters on sides and back for your dog’s comfort
- Mesh center for added airflow and reduced odors
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
- suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Available in three sizes
- Replacement covers available
- The bolster is machine washable
- Canopy available (sold separately)
- Easy to assemble
- Steel frame may be heavy to carry if backpacking/camping
- Although the bolster is machine washable, there is a zipper and stuffing. I would take “machine washable” with a grain of salt. It may be better to empty the bolster of the stuffing before washing it or spot treat any stains instead.
Best memory foam outdoor dog bed
For large breed or elderly dogs, you may have concerns about joint pain. Take the pressure off with some memory foam. This is not only available in the fluffy indoor dog beds, but also in waterproof outdoor dog beds. I especially like that the lining of the cover on this is waterproof. The bottom is water-resistant but it is still machine washable. In fact, this bed is fantastic for indoor and outdoor use. I would wash it before bringing indoors though, to avoid bringing in any dirt. It’s also very affordable. Check price here.
- Comfortable for dogs with joint issues
- 100% waterproof liner and water-resistant skid-proof bottom
- The micro-suede exterior is soft and washable
- Available in four sizes and two colors
- Satisfaction guarantee
- The cover is very durable
- Extra covers are not available to buy separately
- The outer cover is not waterproof but the liner protects the foam from getting wet
- Not a good choice for dogs who are prone to chew on their bed
Best outdoor dog bed with canopy
Camping means protecting your pup from the elements and a canopy can be an excellent way to do that. This outdoor dog bed with shade is a fantastic way to provide your dog with shade for the park, backyard, or beach. Dog tents are a good option too, and you can check out the Top Five Dog Tents here. It can also help to keep your dog off of a cold floor. One of the features that stands out to me is the mesh center for extra airflow. The steel frame makes it very sturdy, and the graphic adds a cute touch of personality. Check price here.
- High-quality fabric
- Breathable mesh
- Shade canopy
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to assemble
- Includes carrying bag
- Canopy is detachable
- You may need to tie this bed down with steaks if you are camping or bringing to outdoor activities
- Canopy is not waterproof, so will not protect from rain
Best chew resistant outdoor dog bed
If my lab mix Thor doesn’t get enough boisterous playtime in, he can be a power chewer. A few beds have been destroyed along the way. For big chewers, you need something a little tougher. This outdoor dog mat has water and chew-resistant cover, and for bonus points, the cover is replaceable. This feature means you won’t have to throw away a whole dog bed if your pup has been chomping on it. For this reason, this is a great choice if you are going waste-free or want to be more eco-friendly. Check price here.
- Premium solid foam interior
- Durable material
- 100% waterproof
- Machine washable covers
- Extra covers sold individually are easily replaceable
- Available in four sizes
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Lightweight and easy to carry, making it ideal for backpacking and camping trips
- Waterproof coating makes it good for housetraining a puppy
- Easy to wipe clean
- No non-slip bottom
Best outdoor dog bed with style
You’ve got an eye for design, and only want to be surrounded by the most stylish items. Pet supplies are no exception to this rule in your home! For a bold look, this striped outdoor dog bed looks like one giant cushion. Available in a range of colors, it can fit in with any backyard, festival tent, or glamping excursion. Check price here.
- Bold stripe pattern
- Comes in a range of colors
- UV and stain resistant, so the color won’t fade
- 7oz outdoor treated polyester fabric
- Money-back guarantee
- Available in four sizes
- Machine washable cover
- replacement covers are not sold separately
- maybe difficult to move filling around to reshape over time
Overall best outdoor dog bed
Out of all these options, The Dog’s Bed, Premium Waterproof Dog Bed stands out to me as the best outdoor dog bed. I love how durable and lightweight this is, and that the cover is replaceable. Using this outdoor dog bed I am not concerned about any rain, mud, or wet ground and I know that my dog Thor is comfortable. I love that I do not have to worry about him chewing since sometimes Thor can be a bit nervous in an unfamiliar setting. I would definitely bring this dog bed backpacking, car camping, or visiting a cottage.
Hi, I’m Natalie! I’m a dog owner and I do my best to live an active lifestyle. About 4 years ago I adopted my dog Thor. Since then, he has learned to jog, camp, and even canoe. I’m here to help you to make your pupper a part of your active lifestyle too!