Biking and dogs do not usually go together. You may be able to train your pup to walk along if you are biking very slowly. But for those who enjoy cycling regularly, bringing your dog along in a carrier may be a safer option. Depending on the size of your dog, your options will vary. Here is what to look for in a bike carrier for dogs.
Best bike carrier for dogs – medium to large size dogs
If you have a medium to large dog, you will need a bike carrier that can hold more weight. For dogs up to 88lbs, this carrier is a good choice. Always measure your dog and consider the dimensions of the bike carrier before you buy it. This will ensure your dog is comfortable inside of it. I like how you can also use this bike trailer for jogging if your dog is not yet trained to run with you. (If you would like to learn how to run with your dog, check out my article here). If your dog is smaller, this might still be a good option. You will be able to carry other items with your dog, or you could use this for two smaller dogs. Check price here.
- Easy to hitch to bike and remove
- Folds down for storage
- Includes hitch to attach to bike
- Handlebar is adjustable
- Waterproof and sun-proof cover
- Flag for extra visibility
- Can fit two smaller dogs
- Zippered mesh screen at front
- Max weight capacity is 88lbs
- May need to pump up tires with a bike pump
- You will need to measure your home door, as you may need to fold this to fit through some doors
Best bike carrier for small to medium size dogs
If you have a smaller dog, you may not need something that holds as much weight. This bike trailer can hold up to 50lbs. I like that this trailer is from the brand Schwinn. This is a very well known cycling brand. They have been manufacturing high-quality products since 1895. This is much lighter than some of the other trailers on the market. The ones designed for children, although you could use for a dog, are much heavier. I also like that there is an internal leash to help keep your dog safe. Check price here.
- Safety flag included
- High-quality brand name
- Folds easily for storage
- Wheels pack up for storage
- Internal leash for safety
- Rear doggy door for easy entry and exit
- Adjustable bug screen
- Too small for larger dogs
- May not fit all types of bikes
Best bike carrier for extra small and toy dogs
If you have a dog who weighs less than 13lbs, you could use this adorable basket carrier for biking with your dog. I love the look and feel of this wicker basket and the cozy teddy lining. It is durable and weather-resistant and includes a canopy that is detachable. Just thinking about a sweet little pup peeking out of this warms my heart! I also like that there is a customer support hotline available to call for any questions or concerns. Products that include this type of support are usually high quality. Check price here.
- This is cute, and if you have a tiny dog, you probably like cute!
- Safety leash to secure pet while cycling
- Detachable canopy
- Faux sheepskin lining
- Easy to clean lining is machine washable
- US-based customer support is available six days a week
- Durable construction
- Not appropriate for dogs over 13lbs
Best bike carrier for dogs – backpack style
This is another option for smaller dogs. I like the idea of being able to see the dog in front of me, but that isn’t always practical. If you already have a basket on your bicycle for groceries or other items this may be a better option. This backpack comes in three sizes, so you can make sure your pup is snug and secure. The buckle inside provides extra security by clipping to your dog’s collar. Check price here.
- Three sizes to ensure the fit is just right for your dog
- Available in three colors
- Security buckle attaches to dog collar
- Can be used for any outdoor activities, like hiking or camping
- Can be used for cats too
- May need to add a towel on the bottom to make it cozier
- The bottom is a bit hard
- Your dog may take some training to get used to this
Best bike carrier for dogs – trailer hitch
This hitch works with a few different trailer style dog carriers. If you want to attach two bicycles or need to replace the hitch, this is a good option. In some cases, you may have more than one family member who will be using the trailer to carry your dog. It is more convenient to switch the trailer when it is in use than switch the hitch every time. It is also a good idea to have an extra one of these on hand. In case you need to replace the hitch in the future, you won’t have to delay your cycling. Check price here.
- Industrial grade construction
- Works with many types of bike carriers for dogs
- Maybe a bit of a tight fit at first but will wear with time
Overall best bike carrier for dogs
Of all these options, my favorite bike carrier for dogs is the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer. If this carrier is appropriately sized for your dog, I would definitely choose this. Even if it is a little bit big and you have a smaller dog, it may still be a good choice. You will be able to carry other items while your dog rides in it. In my opinion, the best part about this trailer is that it is from such an amazing cycling brand. For this reason, I know it is a very high-quality item and the customer support is excellent.
Hi, I’m Natalie! I’m a dog owner and I do my best to live an active lifestyle. About 4 years ago I adopted my dog Thor. Since then, he has learned to jog, camp, and even canoe. I’m here to help you to make your pupper a part of your active lifestyle too!